This is a dresser I picked up at a yardsale a few Saturdays ago. I bought three dressers that weekend. Yes, I guess I was a little dresser crazy that day. Anyways, two of the three are done. And this one is sold already, actually.
It was a pine dresser. The lady selling it told me that her and her husband had bought it from Sears right after they were married. It was unfinished and she stained and varathaned it. Well, that was a few years ago and in the meantime it had gotten scratched and yellowed... you know the drill right?
Anyways, I sanded the top down and stained it with dark walnut stain. To see more instructions on how I did that, you can view this post on refinishing.
The body was sanded lightly, primed and then painted with Rustoleum semi-gloss white. I did distress this piece, but only lightly around the edges this time.
After I painted the body, I decided to do a sort-of whitewash treatment on the top to give it a worn/beachy/older feel. I watered down some white paint and using a cloth wiped it over the top of the dresser. Now normally, you could just wipe the excess away, but I was working outside and it was fairly warm, so it pretty much dried right away. So I took some 100 grit sandpaper and did some sanding to give it a more authentic look. The paint sort of settled into the grain of the wood.
One other thing I did was change out the original hardware with some pulls and knobs I had gotten on clearance at Lowe's, maybe a year ago. I've wanted to use them ever since, but they've never worked with anything I tried them out on. I had the exact number of pulls and knobs I needed for this dresser, so I guess they were meant to go on it!
Hopefully soon I will be sharing with you the second dresser I picked up that day.
The Dedicated House
The 36th Avenue
The Shabby Creek Cottage
My Repurposed Life
Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Nest
The Cottage market
Five Days...Five Ways
Tatertots And Jello
Funky Junk Interiors