Oct 12, 2012

Pretty White End Table Makeover

You'll have to forgive me when I admit how long this table has been kicking around.  I bought it last summer when I went to pick up a china hutch that I was planning on using in my craft room. 
It's been hanging out in our shed ever since then.  However, my husband has been complaining about how hard it is to get the lawn mower out, so I figured I'd better get a move on with this table if I didn't want something drastic to happen.  Not that there's any other furniture out there right now, though. 
When I bought it, I was planning to refinish it and keep it for myself.  Now, I don't have room to keep it anymore.  Although, I would like to. 
Isn't she pretty?   Now I don't usually refer to my furniture as a "he" or a "she".  Mainly because it makes me think of my mom and how she always complains when my dad talks about his car (affectionately named "Becky")  as "she".

Becky, 1937 Nash Lafayette
However, this table is most definitely a she!

And in case you're wondering who the pretty lady on the pretty table is, it's my grandma. 

For this table I started out with two coats of Cece Caldwell's Chalk Paint in Simply White.  However,
After the second coat I added a coat of primer because it was bleeding through too much.  I only put one coat of primer on the body, but the table top probably got 4 or 5, it she was that bad.  Then another coat of Simply White on top of that.  And of course I finished her off with a wax topcoat.  I used the cece caldwell wax for that.  It's nice wax, I like it.  I distressed it enough to bring out detailing.  I didn't want to go overboard on this one. 

One more piece out of the shed... hope it helps to settle my husbands nerves down a little!

And, oops, I almost forgot, but here's a bad before picture to give you an idea of what it was like before.


Oh, and here's a sneaky peak of a piece I just completed for my sister-in-law.



Linking to:
The Cottage Market: Junkin' Joes
Tatertots & Jello
Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm
Primitive & Proper
Domestically Speaking
Southern Lovely
The Shabby Creek Cottage
The 36th Avenue
My Repurposed Life
Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Nest
Homespun Happenings
Chic on a Shoestring

23 comments:

  1. This table is so pretty! It has such lovely curvy lines. What a great job! Looking forward to seeing the full post for the sneak peak. Those drawers are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww, she's too cute!! I want-to-keep-her-cute!!!
    Love the shape and it's definitely better white, great job Cynthia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The table turned out really well. Can't wait to see the other project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the table in white. Really a cute table. It is a "she" for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the table in white. Really a cute table. It is a "she" for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the table! Its so shabby chic/cottagey. It turned out great and I may have to try my hand at using wax like you did.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia what a beautiful table.Great curves and beautiful color!What a lovely photo of your sweet Grandmother too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. The table looks amazing. It is gorgeous!!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really very pretty table! Nice curves, and why does white ALWAYS look great?! I'm suffering the same 'husband nudging' with the contents of my garage! I haven't been able to park my car in my garage for TWO winters! (Ontario winters like you)! I've promised him I'd have it emptied by November !st (LIKELY!!). I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, I have a similar table, wish I knew the name of the style with the work at the bottom, She's just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely table. I was happy to find my way here via Coastal Charm NTT and to discover you are from Ontario. I am now following along on Linky and GFC. I also added your blog to my list of Canadian blogs in my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great little table! i love the details- it looks perfect in white!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's so pretty! White is definitely her color. Beautiful transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute table! What a great little treasure you had in the garage! :) Love the details and your makeover makes it so classic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is a beauty!
    "pretty" is an understatement!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SHE is GORGEOUS!!!!! hugs and thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cynthia, new follower here, also from Ontario! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment.

    Your table is lovely! And yes, it's definitely a girl, lol! I have a similar table waiting to be painted, still debating about the colours.

    Love the hot pink insides of your sister-in-law's piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. visiting from Linda's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday party.
    I love what you did with your pretty table. it looks so much prettier now. Love how the white brings out the details.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cynthia, I love the table transformation, very fresh! I'm a new follower! Thank you for sharing.

    Have a good day, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok are you going to keep that adorable gal or sell her? She is so sweet and her lines are sexy, female. She'd make a great nightstand, entry table, or end table. I really want her. Most likely would cost more to ship her than what you might be asking for her. I love the vintage style of tables. Takes me back to being a kid in lots of my relatives homes. I live in Western CO.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely! I can't imagine what your house would look like if you kept every piece of furniture that you did :) Thanks for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete