Oct 9, 2012

Aqua & White Dresser & A Tip for Removing Old Paint From Hardware

I finished this dresser a couple of weeks ago.  I guess I am a little behind on posting.  It actually came with a matching bed, but I sold it as is because I didn't have the room to store it.  I would have liked to redo it, but sometimes you have to choose your battles. 


It was painted white already, plus I think there was some green underneath.  I gave it a good sanding then applied some light turquoise paint.  The details I repainted in white.  When I distressed it, you could see the white showing through, plus some of the wood and bits of the green. 

The hardware had been painted over with both white and green paint.  It was kind of gross looking, but I knew they would be pretty cleaned up.  So, what I did was found an old pot, and simmered the hardware in some water and baking soda for a little while to soften the paint.  Then I just scrubbed them with a little brush, and most of the paint came off. 


I also lined the drawers with this pretty wallpaper.


A couple people commented on the little box on top.  It was actually the main reason I bought this dresser, because at the time I had a million other pieces to work on and really shouldn't have dragged another piece home. 





Hopefully I'll be checking back in later this week with another furniture makeover to share.   

Linking to:
Domestically Speaking: Power of Paint Party
Southern Lovely
The Shabby Creek Cottage
The 36th Avenue
The Shabby Nest
Miss Mustard Seed
My Repurposed Life
Homespun Happenings
Chic on a Shoestring
Finding Fabulous
Tatertots & Jello
Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm
Primitive & Proper

12 comments:

  1. That is such a pretty piece--love the color! Good idea soaking the hardware. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful piece Cynthia! Love that color too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so cute and I love the minty green colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty shade of blue! I love the old hardware too. You can also use a crockpot overnight to soak off paint on hardware.

    Have a lovely weekend!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVely hardware. Looks so much better in it's original condition. Thanks for sharing the tip too! I will have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful color! Great idea to let the hardware simmer. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. she's a beauty.... well done! visiting from miss mustard seed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, and what a great tip! Thank you so much for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very handsome. I did something very similar to my cabinet (turned it into a hutch). Did it in Robin's egg blue and cream with vintage door pulls.

    beautiful.
    trumatter

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh i love this! the color is spot on pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the dresser, you did a good job on it.

    ReplyDelete