Sep 26, 2012

Some More Coffee Sack Upholstery And a Yard Sale Adventure!

Remember this chair that I did a few weeks ago? 
 
 
Well, the lady who bought it ended up wanting a few more done in exactly the same manner.
 

 
 I hopefully have found a local source for coffee bags. 
 
I painted these with Cece Caldwell paint in Vermont Slate.  Then, when I waxed them, I added some black paint into the wax, to darken them down a tad. 
 
I had fun doing the seats on these.  No two are alike.
 
 
 
 
 
They all had really great legs, too.
 
 
 
And, on a completely different subject, I went to a yard sale on Friday.  I know, big surprise right?  Anyways, this was quite the sale.  The guy had quite a lot of furniture.  I was checking out a pair of nightstands, and he came over to talk to me.  I mentioned that they would need a lot of work, hoping of course to get him to lower the price.  Well, it turns out he had just refinished them.  Talk about putting my foot in my mouth!  They were absolutely horrible, you could hardly open the drawers, there was so much paint gooped up on them.  Silver and black streaks all over them, and they were supposed to be "distressed".  I so wish I had a picture of them to share their awfulness!
 
I did buy two dresser from him, though.  This first one I bought only for the glass knobs that it came with. 
 
You're probably thinking that doesn't look too bad.  Wait until you get a close up of the drawer!
 
Youch!  He had just finished this one!  I won't be redoing this one.  There is just way too much paint gooped on and dripping all over it to be worth my time.  Ah well, the knobs were totally worth the price.  You'll be seeing them again soon.  They are going to be put on a dresser I am painting black for my sister-in-law.
 
And I also bought this dresser to redo. 
Thankfully, he was selling it "as is".  Meaning he hadn't touched it yet!  (What a relief!)
 
 
 Linking to:
36th Avenue

27 comments:

  1. That's pretty funny! I guess he's a little confused about what shabby chic is. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia,
    I love your chairs. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/how-to-make-natural-tinted-lip-balm-and.html
    I hope to see you there.
    Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chairs look amazing! I just love the coffee sacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chairs look amazing! I just love the coffee sacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cynthia. I love the chairs you did with the coffee bag seats. My husband is supposed to track a bag down for me to cover a lampshade, but he is really procrastinating so I'll show him your chairs and I think that might get him in gear..I'm visiting from Restoration Weekend..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the different coffee sacks on the chairs and the color of chairs these will be one of a kind good sacks are hard to come by love that they are being repurposed, her dining area will be awesome!! Love your projects!! Nice to blog meet you!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of those coffee bags!! It is funny how we all have different tastes in "redoing" furniture. I painted something for my craft sale and the lady said, "I am sure my daughter could redo this" :) I smiled and thought, oh well, I made $35 on something I found along the road. Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think he needs to go to shabby rehabby for crimes against furniture. Thank goodness you came along to save a few pieces. I love the coffee bag seats. I do have a question. What do you do to soften them and make them not shed on clothing? Thanks for an entertaining post.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't beat a yard sale story and the characters you find there. The new dresser looks like a prime candidate for a fix up. Good luck with it!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw your chairs on Miss Mustard Seed's link up party. I love the coffee sacks, especially the one that says Bremen. My family hailed from there (rural Ohio, not Germany) but I think the town was founded, way back when, by German immigrants. Are you selling that chair or do you have any other sacks with Bremen? Thanks! hnfrvc@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like those coffee sack chairs, unique :)

    huggies***
    smartmomma

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just taught a chair painting class last weekend and we too used coffee bag seats. I love the variety you ended up with. I kept all mine the same to avoid fighting amongst the ladies.Love your finished chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the gray chairs! Especially am loving the empire-style chair. I have never seen one before and I'm lusting after it.

    Also, so glad someone else also has foot-in-mouth disease! LOL

    Daena Visiting from my1929charmer

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your chairs. I'm your newest follower. Come check out my blog when you have a minute at http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your chairs are amazing, love the coffee sacks, I never seem to find any that are in good condition. The empire style is so pretty. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The mis-matched chairs are fabulous!!! They must look amazing around a table.

    Foot in mouth - well, at least you didn't ask him if he was pregnant!! Hopefully, he didn't raise the price on you!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's too funny. I know just what you mean, I had a similar experience with a seller who just re-painted a table...it was awful! I love what you did with those chairs, especially covering the seats with those awesome coffee sacks. It's no wonder the lady wanted more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these chairs! I wish I could see the dining room they'll be in. That's hilarious about the yard sale but good score on the glass knobs and unfinished dresser :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love these chairs and i think it looks so good paired with black paint!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those chairs are fabulous! I just found 2 large coffee sacks and wanted to cover some chair seats also. Thinking the black looks really great with the print from the sacks on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, dear, how funny about your inadvertent insult to the guy having a yard sale. Will you be able to repair his handiwork with that foot stuck in your mouth?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Over the TOP AWESOME!!!! I need these : ) thanks for sharing over at Junkin Joe!!!! Great post and I know everyone LOVED it!!! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Cynthia,
    Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks or this read mate. Well, this is my first visit to your blog! But I admire the precious time and effort you put into it, especially into interesting articles you share here!
    Upholstery

    ReplyDelete