Aug 2, 2012

Michael's Knock-Off

So, I was in Michael's the other day, and I saw this burlap 'vase' that I totally adored!  However, I totally did not adore the price tag... $24.99 (plus 13% tax).



So, what's a girl to do?  She goes to the Salvation Army and finds a glass vase in almost the same size and shape for only $1.00.


She then prints out the words to one of her favorite hymns "How Great Thou Art" onto a scrap of burlap and attaches it to the vase.


And this is what she ended up with! 



What do you think?  Just as good as the Michael's version? 

Total Project Cost:
Vase- 1.00
Burlap- 0 (it was a left over scrap from the tablerunners I sell in my etsy shop)
Twine- The whole roll was a $1.13 
Key: 0.50

So... 2.00 maybe, tops?  In my opinion, I'll take 2.00 over 25 any day!  Plus, I had the fun of making it.
 
And... in case you are not familiar with the hymn that I used, I have place the lyrics below for you. 
How Great Thou Art
Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works thy hand hath made,
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed;

Refrain:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
and hear the brook, and feel he gentle breeze;
Refrain

And when I think that God his son not sparing,
Sent him to die - I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:

Refrain

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home- what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration
And there proclaim, my God, how great thou art!

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Copyright © 1953 The Stuart Hine Trust/All rights worldwide adm. by
Kingsway Communications Ltd.
tym@kingsway.co.uk
(except USA admin. by
EMI CMG Publishing and print rights adm. by Hope Publishing Company.All other rights in North, Central & S.America adm by Manna Music Inc)

http://www.hymns.me.uk/how-great-thou-art-hymn.html


Linking to:
Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday
Five Days Five Ways: Friday Free For All
The Cottage Market
Tatertots and Jello
Funky Junk Interiors 

11 comments:

  1. I love this! How did you do the printing on the burlap? Love that hymn too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is absolutely beautiful! i was thinking the same thing - how did you print on burlap?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most beautiful hymn's ever. Good price on your copy cat...the other picture doesn't show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I love a good knock off :)

    Visiting from The Cottage Market

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, that is lovely! Probably a lot prettier than Micheal's and very personal with your favorite hymn. I love it. Visiting from Junkin Joe Party.
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks gorgeous Cynthia! You did an amazing job. I hope you have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks lovely! How did you go about printing onto the burlap? You have done an amazing job, and the hymn really sets it off.

    Sheree
    www.seaweedandraine.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut out a piece of freezer paper that was the same size as the burlap. I then ironed the freezer paper onto the burlap. The freezer paper stabilizes the burlap so it can go through your printer (inkjet).

      Delete
  8. What an amazing vase! That's one of my favorite songs too...I may have to keep this project tucked away in my mind :) I just became a follower and bookmarked this project!
    http://mommysordinarymagic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I've also been playing around with burlap lately! I love the rustic look of it!

    ReplyDelete