Aug 7, 2012

A Burlap Seat

The hardest part of this makeover was getting this chair clean!  It was covered in dirt and dust and spiders...ugghhh.  Anyone who knows me, knows how much I just adore spiders.  I probably spent more time washing, cleaning, vacuuming, sweeping, and wiping this chair, than I did painting it!  There's not one speck of dirt left on this one!


I used Cece Caldwell paint in Vermont Slate.  However, I mixed in a liberal amount black craft paint to darken it up.  I wasn't sure if this would work, but I didn't have any problems with it.  Also, when I waxed it, I added black paint to the wax, which darkened it a tad more. 

One thing I like about this paint is that you can distress it with a wet rag.  This will come in handy when I will have to work indoors in the winter... no more dust flying every which way!


I recovered the seat with a burlap coffee sack that I purchased at Princess Auto.  I went with my husband who would spend hours wandering there in there if he could.  I went in planning to be bored, but I ended up purchasing a couple of these bags and my husband didn't buy anything. 



Today, I will be working on finishing up a few more projects.  The weather is calling for rain the rest of the week, so I'd better get a move on it today!

Linking to:

18 comments:

  1. Nice work on the chair. Love the deep rich color you created and the burlap seat is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! i actually just did a very similar chair! (have yet to post).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The burlap is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful chair. I didn't know Princess Auto carried burlap. I wonder if that is in all their stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks lovely! Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs. P.S. I invite you to join us for tomorrows linky party ( blog hop)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great chair. I love the burlap. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/apple-cinnamon-roll-pull-aparts-and.html
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. What a great chair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this chair makeover!! I would love for you to share it at the linky party on my blog. It goes live every thursday night, & I know my readers would love to see your work! Hope to see you there!

    http://www.lizmarieblog.com/2012/08/link-up-with-me-liz-marie-13/

    xx Liz marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the coffee sack! Wish I knew where to get some around my area! It looks great. The one thing I didn't like about CeCe Caldwells is the paint comes off so easily (even when waxed). I'm sure I'll try it again but I'll definitely be using a more heavy duty sealer!

    -Jessica
    http://www.dearemmeline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first I thought you stenciled the seat....but this is even a better option! What a wonderful make-over!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the burlap bag! It looks great! You are so talented! Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I bought a couple burlap coffee bags this summer and want to recover some chairs with them...just haven't gotten around to it yet. Hope they turn out as cute as yours did! :)

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking chair...I have been busy playing around with some coffee sacks today...they make some additions to our homes.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. this chair is beautiful! love the burlap seat cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks fabulous. found you via MMS's party where i'm partying too. would love to have you as a follower.

    smiles and happy weekend.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! The color turned out beautifully. And I love the coffee burlap sack seat cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Folks, the myth about leather being hard to care for is just that, a myth.
    ford seat covers

    ReplyDelete