Jul 24, 2012

Vanity/Desk Before & After

Since the publishing of the post where I showed my refinished dresser, I have had enough requests to warrant the writing of a tutorial.  So, in the next few days I will be describing how I refinish furniture. 

For now, I will show you the before and after of one of the pieces that I will be using in the upcoming tutorial.  This is a vanity that I picked up at a yard sale.  The family was moving and I managed to get it at a reasonable price. 


It is a decently made piece of furniture.  There is a little bit of wooden veneer, but the majority is solid wood.  There was some sort of paint/faux finish on it, even though it may look like plain wood in the picture. 

I brought it home and realized it smelled overwhelmingly like perfume.  A couple days outside in the heat and sunshine fixed that problem up for me, though.  Better perfume than smoke any day, I say.  I find that smoke smell is just soooo hard to get rid of. 

I refinished the top and the drawers, and painted the body.  I used the diy chalk paint version, and I can honestly say I'm not a huge fan of it.  It's too gritty for my liking.  In  my opinion, any time you may save at the beginning by not having to sand is lost by having to sand all the grit off at the end. It does come smooth, though, once you sand it, so no worries there. 



It's a super fun piece now.  I lined the drawers with some wallpaper.  I bought a whole brand new roll of it at a yard sale for one whole dollar.. can't beat that price!


One of my favorite details on this piece is the string of little balls down the front.



So the whole thing wasn't overwhelmingly in your face turquoise, I painted the mirror white.  Honestly, until I went to paint it, I didn't even notice how pretty the detailing was at the top of the mirror.  One thing about white paint- it is good at accentuating details. 


So, stick around if you want to get the low down on how I refinished the top and the drawers on this piece.

Update: You can catch the tutorial Here!


Linking to:

31 comments:

  1. Love it and I don't like the Chalk paint either. I agree too gritty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia, you did a beautiful job on the dresser. I love the color you chose and that you used a dark stain on the top and drawer fronts. I am looking forward to the tutorial. I would love for you to come by my new party and share. Totally Transformed Tuesday. Hope to see you soon. I'm a long time follower of your blog.Hugs Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I wish I had a vanity like this for my room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color! Love how you kept the wood faces of the drawers. And for what it's worth, I never have grittiness in my chalk paint. Could it be how you prepare it??? I use plaster of paris mixed with hot water to dissolve. Stir until smooth. Add to your paint. Stir and add water to desired thickness. It's smooth as silk. The ratio is 2 parts paint to 1 part PP. Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo Beautiful, I am now following you!

    Michele
    Pearl 13.1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my that is beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from 36th Ave. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-7.html Hope to see you at the bash! Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Love that blue (which is similar to one splotch on my hand right now :o))
    Would love if you stopped by my party to link this up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is so beautiful!!! You did a fantastic job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came over from Shabby Creek. Love the color with the wood and the white of the mirror. the distressing is wonderfully done.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have done a beautiful job. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So CUTE! Love that turquoise and the brown drawers. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is beautiful! What a great transormation. I love the brown and turquoise, my favorite color combination. But, the best part of this makeover is the wallpaper lining. I love it!

    Elizabeth
    http://lizziscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, that is one reason why I love painting pieces; it brings out the details! You did a great job. I too like the beads! I still think I want to try homemade chalk paint--just haven't yet:) What a great find! Thank you so much for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my this is soooo lovely...the perfect colour. Your hard work so paid off....thank you for sharing...only wish I had this sweetie in my home. Happy weekend...love your blog. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Shes a beauty!Fabulous color and Im loving the dark contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really beautiful and a statement piece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is AWESOME!!!! Simply FABULOUS!!!!! Thanks for dropping by Junkin Joe and we just featured you on facebook also : ) http://www.facebook.com/thecottagemarket?ref=hl THANKS and tons of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so awesome. I simply love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty--I love the turquoise shade you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love what you've done with this piece. It's gorgeous!! I love the drawer fronts the most. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous redo, the drawer fronts are so pretty. Visiting from TT&J

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks so pretty! I like that you kept the dark wood for the top and the drawers, it gives the vanity a really chic and unique look!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That came out so cute. Love the color. So good to know about the chalk paint. I have been on the fence about using it on my dining room table legs and think I may do some sanding first but I would love to try some. So many rave about it. Would love it if you would share over at Sunny Simple Sundays. http://sunnysimplelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. A beautiful piece, and like that you painted the mirror white, and love the color. I also like the balls down the sides too. I have never made the homemade chalk paint before but it does sound like it would be grainy! I also love the two toned looks, it's so much character to the piece. A very lovely piece. So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this! That dresser has great lines. I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always love an aqua and brown color scheme. I love that big tin, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful, cynthia! love the wood tones on the drawers with that gorgeous blue!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This little vanity is beautiful. I am loving the wood/paint combo right now.

    ReplyDelete