Jan 20, 2012

Rag Garland and Valentine Banner

After being in Michael's the other day, I was inspired to make a couple of Valentine's projects.  
They had these rag garlands, that I thought were really cute, but, I couldn't really justify buying one since I have a ton of scrap fabric at home (I quilt, so I tend to have a lot of scraps...) and could basically make one for free. 

I originally made this garland to hang on the shelf in the kitchen, but when I put it up there, it seemed to really overpower it.  So, on a whim, I plopped it up on top of the china cabinet, and it was the absolute correct, I couldn't have done it better if I'd measured it, length.  

Except for the ribbon that I interspersed throughout, this entire garland was made entirely from little scraps!


So, I left it there and made up this cute little banner to hang in the kitchen. 

It was super simple to make.  I just cut out 5 hearts and taped them to a piece of pink ribbon with a chunky bead in between each heart... honestly, it probably only took me about 10-15 minutes tops.  It was pretty cheap, too.  The paper was on sale at Joann's- $0.16 each (I didn't even use half the sheet), and the ribbon was 3 spools/$1.00 on sale at Micheal's.  And the beads weren't terribly expensive either, I think they were from the dollar store. 

Oh, and to make it a little more special, I added a piece of bling to each heart, too.
And this is about as valentines-y as my house is going to get! 

Linking to:





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Sunday's Best Linky Party!






shabby creek cottage
The Shabby Nest





The 36th Avenue






Making Lemonade

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


10 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Funky Junk. Well the two projects you did will definitely make you home Valentiney. Both are so cute, and have inspired me to create some of my own. Also liking the shimmer of the second garland, but love anything with scraps of fabric in it. My fingers are crossed that you will share your garlands at Sunday's Best party tonight, too cute not to share some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute ideas! I actually don't decorate for Valentine's Day. Didn't actually know people did until I started blogging! :) Anyway, please come post at my place Wednesday if you can and share with my group!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do love the rag banner. I love anything with rags in it. Wanted to stop back and thank you for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best party! Hope we see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I would love for you to show it off at my Valentines Party @ www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia, I love all of your Valentine's Day decorations! I love your silver tray chalkboard and garlands! You did an amazing job! I love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Valentine’s rag garland, it is super cute and creative. Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I would love if you would link this to my blog party this weekend. Hope you can join in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Valentine Decor! I hope this inspires me, can't get into it! Thanks for your visit and nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valentine special decorations are look so different and wonderful.I really like this different designs.

      words and music

      Delete