Jan 3, 2012

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover Part 1

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  I have been taking a bit of a break.  We spent several, very lovely, days up at my parents.  But, we are back now, and things should be getting back to normal soon.  I still have yet to tackle putting away all my Christmas decor.    

I have usually tried to avoid pictures of my kitchen on this blog.  The reason why...  the cabinets are horrible.  This is the view of my kitchen that you get when you first walk in the front door.  The first thing I see is the pieces of ugly trim that are missing.  This picture was taken yesterday morning.


This is what it looked like when we moved in a couple of years ago.  That's my brother-in-law Elijah, and sister-in-law, Hannah, in the pictures.

One of the first things we did was replace the hideously ugly, brassy, and dirty light fixtures.  You may also notice that there was only one piece of trim missing in the original pictures.  Hmmm.... now where did the other two pieces go?

A little side story- That stove wasn't in the kitchen when we were looking at the house, and we were told that there would be a working stove by the time we got possession.  Well, about the only thing that worked on the above stove was the front left element.  I guess that qualified the whole stove as 'working'.  We ended up buying a new stove, and then replacing the fan above it, too. 



So, I have finally gotten up the courage to tackle these monstrosities.  They are flat and plain, and melamine, so that kind of ruled out painting.


And this is what our kitchen looked like last night... It took me A LOT of courage to post this picture.  I'm the kind of person who likes their house to look nice....on the outside and surface, at least.... but open up a cabinet door... and you'd better watch you out, you never know what may fall on your head!
We are not simply painting our cabinets.  Neither are we replacing the doors.  Guess you'll have to stick around to find out the rest, eh?

YOU CAN FIND PART 2 HERE

6 comments:

  1. Will be looking forward to seeing what you are up to! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, it will all come together! When we moved into our current house the kitchen was a diaster...we redid everything on a dime and now I LOVE it! Once I get around to cleaning it I will post some pictures of the reno on my blog. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm contemplating renovating our ugly melamine cabinets and came across your amazing re-do! Exactly what I was thinking of doing. Just wondering what you sealed your cabinets with when all the painting/gluing was said and done... and how are they holding up? I have little kids... just wanna make sure if I use the wallpaper, and spaghetti sauce splashes on it... will it wipe ok?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, we used semi-gloss paint. I didn't seal them with anything. So far they are holding up great, I usually just wipe them down once a week or so. Our front door opens into the kitchen and so far I've had lots of compliments on them.

      Delete