Nov 18, 2011

Turquoise Chalkboard

Lately I've been feeling the need for a chalkboard to jot things down on in my sewing room. 
So, I looked though my stash of frames and such for something appropriate and settled on this picture.  I paid a whole one dollar for it at an auction back in the spring.  It's not that I hated the picture, or anything, it just didn't really suit my decor.  Each different flower actually represented each province of Canada.



So, I slapped a few coat of my favorite turquoise paint onto the frame, all the while feeling a little bit guilty and hoping I wasn't destroying a valuable print. 

I didn't even bother taping it off... he he.  I just scraped the excess off the glass with a razor blade when I was through. 
And... after a few coats of chalkboard paint..... Ta DA! A brand new chalkboard for me to play with :-)
I painted right over the glass... so far it's holding up good.  I was hesitant to paint right over the actual print... didn't want to destroy the masterpiece.... plus, the real reason was I couldn't really figure out how to get the frame apart and take the glass out ...  Oh... and the darling little mercury glass candle-holder... I got it on clearance for 1.99 and it makes the perfect chalk holder!

The to-do list you see.... it was real... and I have everything done except the tree! Hopefully that will be done this weekend though :)




Linking to:












Photobucket

shabby creek cottage





Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
The Shabby Nest





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special




The 36th Avenue

19 comments:

  1. That is so fabulous! I really had no idea you could paint right onto glass like that! Wonderful! I love the aqua color too...very chic! Thank you for the inspiration!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia, I love that turquoise! Do you have a lot of that color in your home? I have done several chalkboards on glass and mirrors. They work just fine but I always let the customer know they are breakable. Thanks for stopping by my blog today glad to know I'm not the only one with furniture staked up to her ears. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours came out great! I just finished doing the chalkboard paint myself with 5 different frames. For Christmas! Can't wait until they are done! I would need a hugh one for my to do list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT color and LOVE that price!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that turquoise! I usually paint my chalkboards white, I need to break outta the mold! andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this color!!! Great pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute - and I would've just painted the glass too...I'm efficient like that ;)
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chalkboards of ANY kind, and yours is too cute! Love the color Cynthia!

    those two tables in your other post are beautiful!
    That is why I wanted to paint mammaw's dresser!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm doing this tonight! I was wondering if it was ok to paint the chalk paint right over glass.

    yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling project - and so easy! I've made a few of these chalkboards and I love using them. The turquoise is so pretty! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous transformation! I love the turquoise, its' perfect for adding a little sassy kick to your chalkboard. Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh...I am in love with this transformation! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute. You can't go wrong with chalk board paint and turquoise!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color of turquoise that you used. Will you share the name and brand of paint? Nice project! sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's called rock pool, by Debbie Travis. It's a Canadian brand sold by Canadian Tire, but I actually had it color matched with glidden paint. I find that it's a nice paint to work with. I've used it on a couple of pieces of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice transformation!! Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my link party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-10.html

    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow your photo frame and notice board both are very nice. I really appreciate your amazing mind. I love your creative work.

    ReplyDelete