Aug 28, 2011

Vintage Looking Sign

This sign was pretty easy to make, and for a first attempt, I think it turned out pretty decent.

I started with a chunk of wood.  There is the possibility that it once belonged to a pallet... it was just in a pile of scrap wood.  The important thing was that it was already a good size, which meant I didn't have to cut it. And also as it was an experiment, I didn't want to ruin something nice!

I put a rough coat of turquoise on it, and then dry brushed some cream paint over top.  It was still a little too vibrant for me, so I sanded it up, then wiped some dark stain over top, and then wiped it off.
To apply the image, I printed off an old ad off the Graphics Fairy blog.  And then I followed this tutorial  from a blog called Crafty, Scrappy Happy.  And this is how it turned out:



It now sits proudly over my stove, inspiring me to try my hand at making a few more of these!

Linking to:
The Graphics Fairy

7 comments:

  1. Ah, your sign is so pretty. Love It! Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sign turned out so beautiful! I just adore it! Thank you so much for mentioning my tutorial, that was really really nice of you! :o) I am excited to explore your blog a bit more, I am already inspired to try this technique again!
    Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! I love how you do everything shabby chic!
    xox
    Kerri at HollyMuffin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful treatment - I love the choice of turquoise.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sign is beautiful. And thank you so much for sharing the link to Crafty Scrappy Happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this sign! Love the color and you have some good antiquing skills! Very pretty!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. *swoon* I love this sign! I'm pinning this, so I can make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete