Aug 1, 2011

Retro Nightstand Makeover

This is not a piece I would normally choose... in fact, when I first saw it, I thought it was a little bit ugly.  But, you never know what paint can do, so I decided to give it a shot, anyways.


The original hardware was totally nasty, as you can see below. The one on the top is mostly cleaned and the one on the bottom is in its original grossness.  It's like night and day!  I used a wonderful cleaning product from Shaklee, called: At Ease.  It's great stuff!

This was a quality piece of furniture, both the fronts AND the backs of the drawers were dovetailed! It's also extremely heavy... with the drawers in, I can barely lift it!

I lined the drawers with some fun shelf liner that I picked up at the Dollarama and I painted it with two and a half coats of Glidden paint, which seems to be a very thick paint.  I protected it with a coat of Minwax.

Here it is all spiffed up:

Update: And it sold within 24 hours of posting it for sale! Yeah!
Linking to:








PhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridays












Domestically Speaking

The Shabby Nest






36th Avenue



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

21 comments:

  1. I bought some valspar paint in the same color, it was thick as mudd. Turns out I mistakenly bought exterior paint. Kind of happy mistake because I liked it for applications that I wanted to have an older rougher feel to it, but not so good if your looking for a high quality smooth finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cynthia,
    I thought the same thing as you at first glance it this night stand but wow it looks great. The pale blue color is just perfect. Nice work.
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colour!
    Looks fantastic!
    xox
    Kerri at HollyMuffin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spiffy it is! Love the color I'm sure it will be a nice addition to any space :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i LOVE that! the color is just the perfect color for that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may have thought it was ugly, but BOY did you make it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Rosemary-- such a beautiful piece! And so funky too! :)

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    http://bonniegetchell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That paint works magic! Great job! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a FUN retro piece!! LOVE your re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your project turned out beautifully! I just love the color, too!
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this color! It goes perfect with this little piece too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the shape of this piece, the color is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous color - one of my favorites!
    No wonder it sold so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The aqua color goes perfectly with your mid-century modern night stand! I love it!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice comment about my slipcover :)

    xoxo
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paint is magical!
    I absolutely love it. Great makeover!

    Kimberly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so darn cute! I can't believe the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the transformation, the colour is great! Saw you on link party, now google following, please pop by Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the lines on this piece. I'm so looking for exactly this right now. Dying to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! By the way, very happy new follower hope you find the time to follow me back :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my! this nightstand is just too darn cute! I love the color and it's perfect little shape!
    gail
    great tip about how you cleaned the hardware! what a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Visiting from FFF. Nice piece and just love the color. I can see why it sold so fast.

    ReplyDelete