Aug 23, 2011

Another Desk and Chair!

This is the fourth desk I have worked on this year, and it is one of my favorites!  I love this colour!
It started out a little sad.
The top was really scratched and there was veneer chipping and peeling along the sides.  You can't see it because of the grass, but there was a section of the inside corner missing, too. I glued the loose veneer and filled in the chips.  The top of the desk received a thorough sanding. I used a product called PC Lumber to build up the missing section.  It's a moldable, sandable epoxy putty.  It worked pretty good.  I went to Home Hardware looking for the JB Weld brand that I had heard about, but this was the only brand they carried.  And since I had already started working on the desk, this the brand that I bought!
The chair was a yard sale special purchased down the street from our house.

As you can see, the finish was really rough.  But it says Vilas on the bottom, so I knew it was a good chair!  And it was sturdy... I don't like gluing chairs!
I painted the original hardware with OilRubbed Bronze spray paint by Rustoleum.. I love that stuff!
The chair was distressed, but I left the desk clean.  I like the bit of a contrast.

Here are some more pictures of the finished product:
The doorknob is a recent find.  I do have the other end of it and am debating about  replacing one of my doorknobs, or whether I should just use it as a display object.  The wooden prune crate was my husband's from before we were married.  It's great that he shares my love for old things. 









Linking to:
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage


Photobucket






















Domestically Speaking

Furniture Feature Fridays
The Shabby Nest













36th Avenue














ThriftyThurs Thrifty Thursday Week 37



Designer Garden

Anything Related

28 comments:

  1. I LOVE the color! The paint on the hardware makes a drastic change as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the desk now! It's pretty and you do nice work.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful color! I think it turned out quite lovely! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. that color is so pretty! it really softens the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely LOVE the colour of this!
    xox
    Kerri at HollyMuffin

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO CUTE! I'm going to have to do one of these eventually! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow I want that desk!!!! Thank you so much for sharing and for linking up to Show and Share #2. I hope you are having fun at the party :)

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also what brand and color paint is that i love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colour is Debbie Travis' ROCK POOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this color! I'm also in love with the vintage books and the crate! Thank you for your sweet comment on my baby blog! I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my!! How gorgeous!! Would LOVE it if you would share this post at my brand new turquoise lovin' party going on right now! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/08/turquoise-lovin-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great style! Hope you link this up at Thrifty Thursday.

    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Love the color too! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is extra cute! Great color!

    http://photographernaturally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is THE most lovely color! Great job...I looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a great job on the desk and chair. I love the use of the old wooden crate to hold books. Thanks for stopping by our blog and the nice comment. We are your newest followers. I hope you will follow back.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I like this! You did a great job. Love the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome transformation. I love that color. I have been on a hunt for a desk for my daughter for a while that I can makeover. I totally want to paint it this color. I am your latest follower. I hope you will stop by and say hi. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable desk and the blue suits it to a "T"

    Visiting from MMS Linky Party tonight,
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  20. super cute! I love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love your color.

    I have a silly question, Im new to blogging. How do you add the buttons to your posts. my never show up on my posts correctly with the image?! Thanks :)

    Laura www.lifewelive4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay I am in love with all of your up-cycle make overs! I am a crazy up-cycler too so it is fun to find someone else doing stuff like this to get inspiration!!! once again I am so glad you linked up to my blog so I could come over and get to know you---I am a new follower! I wanted to also invite you over to my link party on Thursdays, I would love to see what you are up to on there each week!!! I think you projects would be popular also because a lot of my followers appreciate furniture re-dos! Anyways once again it is great to see your projects!!!
    Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy

    ReplyDelete
  23. great job! i love the color of it!

    I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training Tomorrow! Plus there is going to be a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that color, and the drawers on the desk are too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love how this turned out. BRAVO!

    I wanted to let you know that I've got a great giveaway that ends Friday. It's for $100 to wallquotes.com, and trust me they've got something I know you'll love!

    Stop by and enter ASAP. I'd love to see what you would do with their products! See you soon!

    Artie
    http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. my daughter has a very similar desk we've been wanting to paint but I was worried about the vaneer on the top - so a good sanding, and she will paint up good? I can't wait to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete