Jul 26, 2011

French Provincial Dresser

My husband found this dresser for me... doesn't he have great eyes!  
This is what it looked like before... just your typical 70s french provincial chest of drawers.  
Check out the totally awesome stickers on the side!
They were buggers to take off... definitely stuck on there good!

I used two coats of primer, and two coats of paint and finished it off with a coat of minwax.  I decided to leave off the plastic decorative piece from the top drawer.
I spray painted the original hardware and the rubbed a little off on the edges.
There is some really nice details on this piece-
And these swoon worthy feet...
Now it looks all sweet and pretty... perfect for a little girl's bedroom!




Linking to:
36th Avenue Share Awesomeness Thursday



Transformation Thursday








Domestically Speaking












Furniture Feature Fridays
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. SO SO much better in white! i wonder why that yellow/cream and gold was such a trend once- it looks so much chicer in white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a relative to your tall chest of drawers. It resides in our kitchen as a small cabinet that holds our cutlery and other, but once upon a time it was a desk. I cut the desk off as well as the depth of the cabinet. They do look so much nicer now in white. Great Job!
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD
    If you are interested here's a link to a photo of ours:
    http://4theloveofwood.blogspot.com/2011/07/reindeer-moss-and-italian-frames.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think leaving off that decorative plastic piece was a good call. Wish my hubby had your hubby's eye. Mine can never see my vision and rolls his eyes when I tell him something ugly can be made fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference! It has great detail and character :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "before" looks so much like the set I grew up with! What a great improvement! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cynthia,
    Thanks for stopping by our blog and leaving your kind comments. I think your dresser turned out great. I can't tell you how many times I've passed up some of the pseudo French provincial furniture. But now that I've seen yours, I see what it can be. I'm a new follower now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Who could possibly resist the French appeal, and soft palette :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice curves! It looks so much better in white... and whitout the stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty in white. I like how the white paint picks up the curves of the wood and the hardware. Go you for being determined to remove those stickers! A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was surprised when you said you left off the detail on top but it turned out to be a really good choice. I think it's perfect for a little girl's room:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new colour! Looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulousness! Ive been trying to find myself one of this. Excellent Job!

    “All good things come to those who waits”

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! it looks great. I had a dresser like this (I call this one a chest of drawers) and it had stickers all over it! what's up with that?
    gail

    ReplyDelete