Jun 29, 2011

Ruffled Handbag

This handbag is super cute and not too hard to make, either.

Here's what you need:
-1 Premade cotton canvas tote (I used 11"x13"... and my fabric measurements are based on that... you may have to adjust accordingly)
-1 fat quarter of your choice
-appox . 1/3 yd. muslin  (44" wide)

Here's what you do:
-Cut (6 in total) 3" strips lengthwise from the fat quarter.  You will need the whole thing.
-Cut (3 in total) 3" strips from the muslin, and then cut each of those in half for 6 pieces that are 3" x 22"
-sew a gathering stitch 1/4" from the edge of each strip.
-gather up eacg ruffle until it matches the width of the tote, knot it off, and even up your ruffles.
-Heat up your hot glue gun :-)
-Evenly glue each ruffle onto the bag.  I started by gluing one at the top, then one at the bottom, then one in the middle and then filling in from there.
-Do the above step for both sides of your tote, if so desired.
-I then glued each end together
-pin on a pretty embellishment of your choice- I used a muslin rosette.

And there you have it!!

Linking to:

Transformation Thursday
The Shabby Nest
freckled laundry




36th Avenue



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

12 comments:

  1. How sweet! I would love to toss in a few things into a lovely bag such as this and head to my local library for an afternoon of looking around at books. And if I found a fave read- bam! I'd have a lovely bookbag, handy and ready to tote home my book :)

    Nice job!
    Visiting via linky party at The Shabby Chic Cottage today

    ~Smiles from Suzanne in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute way to dress up a bag. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ruffles and to think that you added them to a premade tote! I would never had known if you hadn't said so. Really wonderful piece and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADORABLE!

    I'd love for you to share it athe my linky party... very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! Love your blog. I'd love it if you'd link up to my Home and Family Friday linky party.

    Becca

    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogpspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    I just want to let you know that I am featuring your tote tomorrow on my blog...

    Thank you so much for sharing it at my link party!

    Hope to see you there again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cynthia,
    I popped over to your blog from DesirĂ©e’s blog Thirty Sixth Avenue. I love your Rufflelicious Tote Bag and your step by step tutorial is so awesome. Thanks for sharing. I so happy to be your newest follower.
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this tote! Great tutorial! We found you on Thirty-Sixth Avenue and are now followers. You should check out our blog! We'd love to have you as a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute and such a simple tutorial, too. Thank you for sharing with air your laundry Friday! xo Jami

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete