Jun 23, 2011

Lovely White Hutch



This was quite the project for me.  This is the biggest piece I have painted thus far, and it took me a lot longer than I thought that it would.  But isn't that how things usually go?

This is what it looked like before- (this isn't the actual one, but one that is identical to it.  The finish on mine was a lot rougher.)


I kept the original hardware, but spray painted them black, for more of an updated look.  And black and white is always a classic look.  I also scraped all the gold crosshatching off of the glass... that was a job in and of itself!



I had originally bought this piece with the intentions of keeping it and using it to store all of my craft and sewing supplies.  However, I have decided that isn't quite the perfect piece for me after all, and have decided that I will be offering it up for sale... and continuing my search for THE perfect hutch.  

On another note: Does anyone recognize the pattern on the platter I have displayed on one of the shelves?  The name on the back of it says "Garland".  I have researched and researched some more, without finding anything.  It belonged to my great-great-grandmother, who lived in England.
 
Here is a closeup of the platter as well as the mark on the back.  I think that it may be a type of ironstone, or earthenware.

Linking to:


Domestically Speaking














Transformation Thursday

Catch As Catch Can
Furniture Feature Fridays

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful makeover! The white and black makes it a definite classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great piece...I have been wanting to paint a china cabinet for so long. I finally gave up on it. Now seeing your makes me want to do It even more. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous job! Isn't it amazing what paint can do? I don't recognize that platter; sure is pretty though.
    Thank you so much for visiting with me. I'm following along now so I can see more of your transformations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I would love to find a hutch like this to revive. I'm sure this will sell fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Thanks for checking out my cedar chest refinish link. This hutch is gorgeous. All of your pieces are actually! You have a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Classically beautiful! I love this piece in white and painting the knobs black was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of painting the knobs black! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! goes to show what some white paint can do- so fresh and updated and so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a big project to tackle but it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous! I just finished a similar hutch in white and it took my longer than I planned as well:) They are huge!! I love that you painted the hardware black, they look very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad i found you through Cassie's POWW party! i'm your newest follower!! i'd love for you to check out my blog sometime if you'd like, www.paintedparlor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely restoration! Thanks for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hutch is gorgeous! I love how you spray painted the handles black, it really gives it that zing.

    I tried to find some info on the pretty platter, usually I'm pretty good at finding things, but this one I couldn't find anything. I hope you can find the information you want.

    Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a beautiful job on this hutch, it looks wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did such a great job on this! I have a warehouse full of old maple furniture just like this, I really need to paint it. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This hutch looks awesome. what a difference, I love it! i have done one similar years ago and I still love it.
    I found you at miss mustard seeds linky. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely hutch, it looks so nice in white. Well done for doing a great make-over

    ReplyDelete
  18. great transformation! I think it wanted to be white all along. :)
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your blog. I'm a new follower
    Milan
    http://milanswonderfulworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I love all your projects!! You've done them so beautifully!!

    I looked up information on your platter and found a site that you should look into. It's is: figurines-sculpture.com

    I typed in Garland and some information came up about it. I hope this helps and I'll keep looking.

    Pam
    Pamluvspink

    ReplyDelete